What’s in a name?

Between Burton Waters and Saxilby, West of Lincoln, set back from the Fossdyke canal is an area that stands out from the otherwise regular outline of Burton Parish, as it has done for hundreds of years. 

This small group of farm buildings and houses are known as Odder, but its name has undergone a significant number of changes since the beginning of the 17th Century. In 1800, it was  known as Hathow Farm – Hathow being an Anglo Saxon word meaning an area of healthy heather or a rise in the ground. Indeed, although it does not appear this way at a glance, Odder – previously Hathow – stands 2m above the surrounding countryside, an incline that has saved it from flooding in the past.